White dental fillings for decayed teeth
Once decay is removed from a tooth, it can be restored with material commonly referred to as a “filling.” In the past, traditional dental fillings were made of different types of metals, like amalgam or gold, which are strong but much darker in color than your natural teeth.
Today, teeth can be restored using modern materials including ceramic and plastic compounds called composite resins that look and feel like natural teeth. These are often called tooth colored fillings or white fillings.
They blend in with your natural teeth, so these tooth colored fillings don’t stand out when you smile or laugh like traditional metal fillings. Also, white fillings have more “give” so they stretch onto the filling better, last longer and usually don’t cause the tooth freeze that metal fillings can give you.
What’s Right for Me?
Several factors influence the performance, durability, and investment of your cosmetic dental restorations:
- The material used.
- The amount of tooth structure remaining after decay is removed.
- Where and how the tooth colored filling is placed.
- The chewing load that the tooth will have to bear.
- The length and number of visits needed to prepare and adjust the restored tooth.
The ultimate decision about what type of dental fillings are best is made by you in consultation with the doctor. We will partner with you to give you the best option for your smile.
In general, there are two basic types of dental tooth colored fillings:
- Direct dental fillings are placed immediately into a cavity in a single visit. Materials used for this type of filling can include tooth colored filling composite, glass ionomer, or resin ionomer. Once your family dentist prepares the tooth, the filling is placed and adjusted in one visit!
- Indirect dental fillings are for larger areas that need to be restored. First, your dentist prepares the tooth and takes an impression of the area. A temporary filling is placed on your tooth, so you can chew comfortably while the dental laboratory makes the new restoration to fit the exact space in your tooth, just like a puzzle piece.
During your next visit, the temporary filling is removed, and the new “puzzle piece” filling is cemented in place. With a filling that looks and feels natural, you will leave our office smiling!
Get white dental fillings in lewisville!
No matter the type of filling that is best for you, thanks to modern advances in dental materials, you’ll have confidence in a smile that has a natural look and feel. Call today to have your tooth fully restored!