Gum disease is a serious condition, and all too common in the United States. It is a leading cause of tooth loss, but is treatable at The Lewisville Dentist.
With regular brushing and flossing, gum disease can even be prevented. Here’s some simple ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Brush for two to three minutes, at least twice a day, with fluoridated toothpaste. Be sure to brush along the gumline. Scrub away the fragments of food Don’t brush too hard, but be thorough. Scrubbing your gums aggressively can be painful and is a BIG don’t.
- Floss daily to remove plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. Don’t like to floss? Try a floss holder, which makes it much simpler to insert floss between teeth. But get over your aversion to flossing, unless you want tooth decay or periodontitis (advanced gum disease).
- Although not a substitute for brushing and flossing, using a mouth rinse can halt plaque accumulation and keep your enamel strong. Remember that fluoride mouth rinses are not the same as mouthwashes. Mouthwashes have alcohol and are designed to freshen breath. (But they can contribute to dry mouth which can cause other problems.)
- Eat a healthy diet. Starchy and sugary foods increase plaque. A nutritious diet provides the nutrients required (Vitamins A and C, in particular) to keep teeth and gums healthy.
- Abstain from cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, which may bring about gum disease or oral cancer. While you’re at it, avoid E-cigs and vapors.
- Be aware that certain medications can also threaten a healthy smile. These include oral contraceptives, antidepressants and heart medicines. If your medications are affecting your dental health, speak with us.
- Exercise preventive care and schedule regular examinations — the ideal way to detect early signs of gum disease and make a plan to reverse it.
- Talk to us about dental issues such as old, broken fillings or crowded teeth.
- If you grind your teeth, speak with us about ways to guard your teeth.
At The Lewisville Dentist, we encourage all our patients to take good care of their teeth and gums. Never over-estimate good dental health! Our services include gum disease treatment, and a full range of family dentistry. Schedule an appointment today!
Contact The Lewisville Dentist:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):