Your enamel is uniquely suited to protect your teeth. By keeping your tooth enamel healthy, you go a long way toward protecting your smile. At The Lewisville Dentist, that’s what it’s all about.
It’s best to form enamel-healthy habits early. We advise parents to teach their youngsters to protect their tooth enamel.
For Healthy Tooth Enamel, Avoid The Following
- Frequently Eating Sticky Foods: Gummy candy, protein bars, and dried fruit can chip teeth.
- Chewing On Hard Foods: For example, unpopped popcorn kernels and hard or stale bread.
- Grinding Teeth: If you grind your teeth, talk to us about it. Tooth grinding (bruxism) can cause headaches, tooth damage, and gum recession. An appliance can protect your enamel.
- Not Drinking Enough Water: If your teeth are awash in carbonated beverages (sugared or diet), juice, coffee, or sports drinks habitually, your enamel will suffer from the acids and sugar.
- Playing Sports Without a Mouthguard: Sports pose a major risk of tooth damage. Custom-fitted mouthguards from your dentist are more comfortable than the boil-and-bite type.