Our teeth work hard and are constantly under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Sadly, enamel erosion is extremely pervasive, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal problems, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At The Lewisville Dentist, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt future erosion if some has already transpired.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been worn away, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of youth already have enamel erosion. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11132512
3. Aggressive brushing can hurt enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as dangerous as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to prevent continued erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been compromised. Call The Lewisville Dentist today at 469-708-4713 to schedule an examination. Dr. Baugh will give you guidance on the best dental treatments for enamel erosion.
Contact The Lewisville Dentist:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):